Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Noodle Kugel

kugel [KOO-guhl] Traditionally served on the Jewish Sabbath, kugel is a baked pudding usually made with potatoes or noodles, though meat, vegetables and other ingredients are sometimes included.  It's generally served as a side dish, though a sweet version with raisins and spices is equally delicious as dessert.

Let me start by saying I don't pronounce it like the food dictionary says you are supposed to.  I call it KUH-guhl, not KOO-guhl.  And, I prefer the sweet version, but as a side dish not dessert.  Weird... kugel as dessert?  When would you eat the brownies then?  Again, poor representation of my cooking repertoire, but I've never actually made kugel.  We almost always have it on holidays, but not very often otherwise.  If your family is anything like mine, Moms and Aunts make all of the food and us kids just come and eat.  Some of you may argue that I am (a.) a mom, and (b.) pushing 30, so not so much of a kid anymore, but, until recently, I was also an out of towner, so I didn't have to contribute.  I'm sure that will change.  I hope it does.  I love cooking for other people.

This recipe for kugel came from a sisterhood cookbook.  I'm not sure if it is the recipe that my mom uses.  She's unavailable at the moment, so I couldn't get her exact recipe.  But, based on the ingredients, this one sounds most similar to the one I grew up loving.  I love how the measurements are all just estimates.  That makes me believe it is an old recipe that has been handed down. And, it says you can substitute low fat ingredients, so this one was the winner.

Sweet Dairy Kugel
1/2 - 1 stick butter or margarine
1 lb. medium noodles, cooked (for those who don't know, you use the egg noodles in the Jewish food section of the grocery store)
4 - 5 eggs or egg substitute, beaten
1 pt. sour cream
1 (24 oz.) carton creamed cottage cheese (ok, not sure what "creamed" cottage cheese is, but I'm sure just regular would be fine)
salt to taste
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
raisins (I like a mix of regular and golden.  there was no measurement for this, so I would guess 1/2 - 1 cup)

Melt butter in 9 x 12 Pyrex dish.  Mix the rest of the ingredients together and add to dish.  Bake at 450 F for 15 minutes, then lower the oven to 300 F for 30 - 40 minutes.

And that is it.  Easy as pie; which, incidentally, is not that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment