Friday, November 19, 2010

The big green monster.

I'm talking about jealousy in case you didn't know.

I was going to write a post about jealously until I looked up the definition on dictionary.com.  According to them, jealousy is resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, or against another's success or advantage itself.  They told me that I might be confusing it with envy, so I clicked further.  Their definition of envy is a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, successes, posessions, etc.  This is more like it... I'm not feeling resentment, just covetousness (seriously, that is a word).

So, now I'm talking about envy.  I know it's a sin, thou shall not covet thy neighbor, and all.  But does it count if I envy my two year old?  I mean, she is half me, right?

But seriously, this kid has it made.  Not just for the obvious reasons... but I'll tell you those, too.  She is independent, too smart for her own good, and she has the best hair.  That's right, I said it.  Her hair is amazing.  It is shiny and soft, and it dries straight with just a little bit of curl at the bottom.  And, coming from a curly girl who has struggled her entire life to get hair like her's, that is definitely something to envy!

The real reasons I envy her?  She is going to grow up in a world where being different is not just accepted, it is encouraged.  I don't know exactly what or when this change happened in our society, but watching Glee the other night made realize how huge it really is.  The characters on this show are all very different, and they are celebrated for their differences.  The "high school drama" show that was on when I was growing up?  90210.  There ain't nothin' to celebrate about those characters (dont' get me wrong, I love me some 90210, I just don't want my child to grow up to be a Brenda, Donna, or Kelly.)  I do want my child to grow up to be proud of who she is, whatever that may be.

She can aspire to be President of our country and it not just be a silly dream.  Although there are some crazy women in politics right now, there are some pretty great ones, too.  And I'm certain, by the time she is old enough to understand we will have/have had a female president.

She won't have to "go" green... things like recycling, buying local and conserving energy will be her norm.  It's funny how things slowly creep down south.  My cousins in Connecticut have been recycling for ages and we just thought they were crazy/cruncy northerners (no offense ya'll).  There is still not citywide recycling here, but we are moving in that direction, and we do have curbside pick up for paper in our neighborhood.  I love that buying local is the "cool" thing to do now, too, and not just because I work for one.  Helping the local economy is so important, especially for making this place a greater place to live for our children.

I know my kids will have opportunities that I didn't.  I just hope that I can be the kind of parent that finds the right lesson in everything that they do.

And, here are some pictures of my crazy two year old since I know that is what you are really here for!




No comments:

Post a Comment