Tuesday, April 17, 2012

To My Oldest Girl

To my oldest girl,



You keep me on my toes.  You are easy to please and hard to make happy all at the same time.  You are a creature of habit and like to do things the same exact way every time.

You are so grown up that I often forget you are just a little girl.  You are a realist and often very serious, just like your momma.  You do know how to let go and have a good time, too.

Lately, you have been singing and dancing like a you are a professional.  You are obsessed with anything biblical (stories, books, movies).  You love doing art projects and writing letters to your friends.

Against your daddy's better judgement, I spoil you with attention.  I can't help myself.  You aren't a baby anymore, and pretty soon you won't be a little girl anymore either.  I fear the day that your response to my question, "who's your best friend" is not "of course, you momma."  So, I'm soaking in all the love I can get while it is free-flowing.

You really enjoy playing with your little sister; when she is not pulling your hair, of course.  You play family and dress up with her, and she tags along behind you just happy to have your attention.  You love to hold your baby sister.  I can't turn my head for even a second because you will pick her up even though you know that is against the rules.

You love bath time, but only when momma does it because I'm more "careful" about not getting water in your eyes than your daddy.  Bedtime has gotten a lot easier, as you are finally willing to go to sleep when I tell you to without putting up a fight.

You are becoming more independent, which makes me proud and sad all at the same time.  You no longer cry when I drop you off at school.  You prefer to pick your own clothes in the morning.  You like to listen to "children's music" in the car.

You define the days of the week by what you get on those days; i.e. Monday you get to use the iPad, Friday you get to stay up past bedtime

You like anything "fancy," and what constitutes fancy sometimes surprises me.  You are most certainly a girly-girl, however you are not afraid to get dirty.  Every afternoon you come home to water the flowers you planted with daddy.

You got your first cavity today, and I feel like I failed you as a momma.

I hear my words coming from your mouth and it knocks me out of my seat sometimes.  You are too smart for your own good.

You know how beautiful you are and I pray that you never have even an ounce of self doubt.

You are stubborn, but adorable and hilarious!





No comments:

Post a Comment